In August 2014, we ran a two day programme for 9 children. We went to At Bristol science museum to learn about how the brain develops, glimpsed the wonders of the universe in the Planetarium, and in the arts workshop at the
Arnolfini gallery created our own colourful planets. At conservation park Wild Place we observed and recorded lemur behaviour from inside their enclosure, comparing lemur body language to that of humans. Finally the children challenged themselves on the Leap of Faith at Wild Place, climbing a 12 metre high wall to catch a view of the zebras from the top.
- Arnos Vale Cemetery for den building and stick whittling
- Windmill Hill Farm for pizza making and time with the animals including walking pygmy goats!
- Chinese New Year celebrations at Bristol Museum where we watched an amazing Lion dance
- Canoeing on the harbour with Young Bristol
We were delighted to have received enough funding to take 48 children on our April 2015 programme which included
- Exploring the lemur enclosure and other attractions at Wild Place
- Testing our limits at the Leap of Faith
- Learning all about the human brain and body at At Bristol
- Canoeing on Bristol Harbour with Young Bristol
We had a wonderful two days on the programme; fears were faced and overcome, new experiences were explored and lots of fun was had.Stars were awarded for showing curiosity, perseverance, confidence, awareness of feelings and zest, and all the children went home with a certificate and a smile!Some wonderful comments from the children –“Overall it was the best thing ever”“It was perfect”
Leap of Faith, exploring science at @Bristol and seeing the stars in the planetarium, and getting to grips with canoeing on Bristol harbour.
Summer 2015 was our biggest programme to date!Over 2 weeks we took 96 children on 3 days of exciting activities, including:
- Bushraft activities in Leigh Woods
- Exploring Bristol Museum and the Mshed
- Bristol Zoo and Zooropia high ropes course
- Wildlife photography!
Although we were slightly unlucky with the weather, everyone has a great time exploring and learning new things. We made dens and fires in the woods and we met new animals at the zoo and even stroked a snake!
‘They’ve been the greatest days of my life’
‘I haven’t been happier’
We also did a wildlife photography workshop and everyone was so impressed by the children’s amazing camera skills!
Just a few beautiful examples – click on them to see them full size